Wednesday, November 02, 2005

So much has happened...

On October 12, I said goodbye to my coworkers. It was harder than I thought it would be to say goodbye. They had a little party for me with cake and everything and the company and my boss both gave me gifts. It was really thoughtful. And then my friends Helen and Paul said goodbye to me, and that's when the tears really started. They gave me a scrapbook computer program, which is just so great and so perfect. It was a long emotional day.
On October 13, John arrived at my parent's house and then we left for Montreal. It was a long drive, but we got there in good time and found our hotel without too much trouble. We were even there in time to see Alias, which is of course highly important! LOL I was a total mess that night, John can attest to how much fun I wasn't to be around.
October 14 - Interview Day. Our appointment was for 9:30 but we wanted to get there really early to get through security. Good thing we did. We got there and I think were one of the first few through. We were admitted and went upstairs. We were instructed to take a number and were called after about 10 minutes of waiting. Someone reviewed the file with us and then instructed us to wait until our number was called again. We waited about 20-30 minutes that time, and then we went into a small room and were asked a couple more questions. Then we were told that my visa was approved and we could come and pick it up on October 17. We were elated, and went back to the hotel to call our families.Then we had the weekend to kill in Montreal. Unfortunately, it was rainy and cold the whole time, but we checked out a local market, went up the Olympic Tower, went to the Biodome, and of course spent some quality time together.
Monday afternoon, October 17, finally rolled around and after picking up the visa we headed back to my parent's place. We arrived after dinner. The drive was pretty good and the rain had mostly died off. Thankfully, my dad had helped me pack my car beforehand so we didn't have to worry about that.
October 18 we got up, packed up John's car and headed for the border in our vehicles. The border was quite smooth, they checked my documents to make sure everything was order. And then they let me in the country. We drove to our house, which is about an hour from the border, and I had quite a sight in store for me. John had told me that his sister and mother and niece had helped him tidy up the house the weekend before I got there, but they really outdid ourselves. Karen transformed the awful weed garden in the front of the house into a beautiful fall garden, complete with mums, pumpkins, bark, and scarecrows. Our front porch was decorated with bales of hay, cornstalks, and pumpkins. Inside, Karen and her kids had made a banner that said Welcome Home Aunt Krista and had decorated the table with a fall tablecloth, placemats, and a pumpkin centrepiece...and the icing on that beautiful cake....I HAVE A CAT! Karen got him for me for free from the barn she boards her horse and no one wanted him. He is orangey-brown and white and with a little help ;) I called him Marmelade. He is so precious. After we got over the shock (John says he didn't know the cat would be here), we unpacked the cars. Hard to believe I had so much stuff...that that much fit into both the cars and that I still had more left at my parent's house...I must learn how to pare things down more. John didn't have to go to work until Wednesday afternoon so we got to work getting things in order. I am embarassed to admit that the first thing I cooked for him was Kraft Dinner, which I guess is called Kraft Macaroni and Cheese here (or something like that). It was pretty good, but definitely not gourmet! LOL Sometimes it is so weird, like I feel like I've always been here. And then other times I feel like it's just a dream, that after all of this time I am finally here...it's kind of bizarre and out of body-like.
So now it is November 2, I've been here for just over two weeks and things are going well. My things are mostly unpacked and what boxes are still packed are mostly stored away until I can find a place for their contents. John and I are settling in well together, with some bumps along the way. I know we've been married for a year, but we still have a lot of learning to do together about each other's habits and such. I'm not quite sure when I get to work yet, hopefully my documents will be verified this week so that the office can issue me my number. We got the internet today, so naturally I've been on the computer almost all day. AHHHHHH I feel so much better now, you have no idea. I also took Marmelade to his first vet appointment. He wasn't very happy on the ride there; he cried and attacked his cage the whole time. On the way back though, he was much quieter, I think he was scared at the vet and I guess some of the shots made him tired. What a treat it was to have a tired kitty! When I played on the internet all day, he slept on a blanket on the floor beside my chair. I just had to kick him out because he started chewing on the wires. Oh Marmelade!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home