Monday, January 16, 2006

A productive day?

Yesterday we met Karen and Eric and the kids for breakfast. We went to the Two Brothers in Brockport, it's pretty good. Then we headed over to John's parents' place for a visit, and then shortly after that Karen and Eric got there too. We all hung out there for a while and then we went in to Hilton to go to Ben Franklin. I've never been there before, and Carol had saved me a flyer from there. I have been wanting to get the yarn to make Sitcom Chic, and it called for Lion Brand Cotton Ease which is cool with me because it's inexpensive, so we went to check it out in the Yarn Barn part of the store, and I found some Red Heart yarn on sale that would be a perfect replacement. As if I bought yarn to make a cardigan for $10, but it's true!

So then we headed home and I tried starting both Sitcom Chic and Picovoli. So Sitcom Chic calls for you to cast on 145 stitches and then work a K1, P1 rib for the first three rows. Well, I have learned from making my discloth that having an odd number of stitches does not produce a K1, P1 ribbing, so I think she made a mistake. Just to be sure, I did cast on and give it a shot and low and behold, no ribbing. So I'm amending the pattern a little (EEEEKKKK!) and we'll see how that goes. Oh, and when the pattern author suggests knitting with circulars back and forth instead of straight needles, I will listen next time because there were a heck of a lot of stitches crammed on those straight needles. As for Picovoli, my swatch was finished drying in the morning so I was ready to begin. I decided that I would try the picots even though it might be harder, because this project is all about expanding my skills. So I had to learn the provisional cast on method. I found a great site that has a description and video of what to do, so that definitely helped. When I tried it though I noticed that all of my stitches were twisting big time. By then it was time for Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy, so I am going to try again today and see how it goes.

So I've put the coffee on (I can smell it....mmmmmmm) and I'm getting ready to settle in for a day of knitting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home